Feb 25, 2010

Stove Burner Madness

Recently one of my friends told me that one's kitchen ought to be renovated about every 10 years. Apparently this keeps up the value of your home. Nice if you have the dough, I suppose. We've been here for 15 years with the same kitchen and I reckon it was last "done" 25 years before that, more or less. When we moved in we bought a new dishwasher, that's been about it. No question our kitchen is a little tumble-down. I'd rather have money in the bank.

On our arrival the stove was barely functioning. Accurate Appliance came by, tuned it up and replaced one of the cook top burners. The stove and ovens have worked well for years. Lately I see that the burners are looking pretty sad, with flames creeping out from underneath the heads. It just doesn't seem safe or efficient. An Internet search turned up what seemed like the right part. I ordered one to make sure it fit and functioned right. After a few days it arrived.

Just like the old ones and all shiny, silver and new, great! But when I went to install it - oh no! The igniter holes were in the wrong place. It had been assembled wrong and, as it was permanently crimped together, I could not rework it. A call to customer service confirmed that I had the correct part. It seemed that I was simply today's lucky winner (I would have preferred to win something more substantial). They said they would send another and, no, they did not need details on what was wrong - the customer rep had no real connection to the warehouse.

A couple of days later the replacement arrived. It was just right, what a relief. So I ordered the next three. That shipment: one good two faulty. But they are still very nice, and are sending two more. At this rate I suppose only two more shipments will get it all right.

So that is why you renovate your kitchen every ten years.
It's just too hard to get replacement burner heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment